Our Mission : Nutrition
The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) has a long-standing commitment to healthy foods and healthy lives. We believe it is our responsibility to ensure that the food we distribute is high quality, nutritious, and safe.
People at risk of hunger have limited or no resources to buy the nutritious foods that are critical to their overall health, growth, and development. For those who struggle to afford or access nutritious food, inexpensive and unhealthy foods are sometimes the only option. This can lead to increased risk of overweight, obesity, and other systemic health issues such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancer.
GBFB recognizes the importance of providing individuals and families in need with foods that end hunger and improve community health. In our commitment to achieving these aims, GBFB collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to:
- Create nutrition specifications that are adhered to when we purchase foods;
- Utilize an internal nutrition measurement ranking system to ensure that at least 75% of our inventory is comprised of nutritious items;
- Provide all nutrition product rankings to our member agencies through our online ordering system, empowering them to choose the best possible food for their clients;
- Offer nutrition education, meal planning, and nutrition analysis;
- Communicate the importance of good nutrition to our partners and food donors; and
- Collaborate with our network of 550 hunger-relief member agencies and 30 GBFB direct distribution programs to provide healthy food choices
Nutrition is strategically incorporated into our integrated strategies to achieve our goal of providing one meal a day to all in need. Building on our ten year commitment to nutrition, GBFB will continue to be a leader in providing nutritious food to sustain healthful eating and healthy communities.
- The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is your source for trustworthy, science-based food and nutrition information.
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest is a nutrition and health advocacy organization.
- Nutrition.gov provides easy, online access to government information on food and human nutrition for consumers.
- More Matters: Tips on incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your life.
- The American Diabetes Association is the go-to site for all diabetes-related issues.
- The American Heart Association provides information about preventing heart disease and stroke.
- The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disorders conducts and supports basic and clinical research on many of the most serious diseases affecting public health.