A select group of legislators is set to decide state funding for key hunger relief programs, and it is vital they hear from constituents during this process.
After both the House and the Senate pass their versions of the FY20 budget, the Legislature forms a Conference Committee (a group of three senators and three representatives) to debate and vote on final recommendations for the FY20 budget.
Join The Greater Boston Food Bank and other hunger advocates in urging the conference committee to support these FY20 Budget Hunger Relief Priorities:
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Governor Baker funded MEFAP at $18 million; the House, at $18.8 million; and the Senate, at $20 million in their FY20 budget proposals.
- We respectfully request the Conference Committee adopt the Senate version. $20 million in MEFAP funding would allow the Commonwealth’s four food banks to provide nearly 25 million healthy meals.
- Healthy Incentives Program (HIP)
- HIP helps SNAP customers buy more fresh fruits and veggies, while supporting local farmers. It matches SNAP money spent at participating farmers markets, mobile markets, farm stands, and CSAs.
- The House funded HIP at $4.5 million; while the Senate recommended $6.5 million for HIP. We respectfully request the Conference Committee adopt the Senate version.
- “SNAP Gap” Pilot Initiative Amendment
- This amendment funds a pilot to test the feasibility for low-income Massachusetts residents to apply for MassHealth and SNAP at the same time. A common application would support food access for 741,000 people in our state who use MassHealth and qualify for SNAP but are not enrolled.
- The Senate budget includes $1 million in funding for the pilot. We respectfully request the Conference Committee adopt the Senate version.
- Contact members of the Conference Committee and ask them to maintain support for hunger relief initiatives!
- Conference Committee
- Hunger Relief Initiatives & Ask
- MEFAP – Support Senate’s $20 M
- HIP – Support Senate’s $6.5 M
- SNAP Gap – Support Senate Amendment
- Copy your state senator and representative in your emails to the Conference Committee!
- Spread the Word!
- Share on social media why #MEFAPMatters and tag @GR8BosFoodBank.
- Sign on to our petition supporting the increase of MEFAP funding to $20 million.
Advocacy makes a difference. Together, we can end hunger here.