How to Help : Food Drives
Hunger hurts our family members, neighbors, and friends. We can help. Make an active and hands-on contribution to end hunger in eastern Massachusetts by hosting a Food and Fund Drive to benefit The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB).
The food you donate will be distributed through our network of 550 hunger-relief member agencies throughout the nine counties of eastern Massachusetts. Pairing your food drive with an online fund drive provides even greater impact as every dollar donated allows GBFB to purchase and distribute an incredible $5.09 worth of highly nutritious food.
GBFB’s food drive team is here to help make your Food and Fund Drive a success. We can provide food drive collection boxes (maximum 4), plastic banners and a Food and Fund Drive Digital Toolkit full of great ideas and resources to help you plan and promote a successful event.
- Register to Host a Food and Fund Drive
- Download GBFB’s Food and Fund Drive Digital Toolkit
- Request a Pickup: Minimum 400 pounds
- Schedule a time to deliver your donation: Smaller donations of non-perishable product can be made in person at our warehouse
- Dairy: Milk - dried, evaporated, and boxed (such as Parmalat)
- Protein: Beef stew, nuts, peanut butter, beans, and peas (dried or canned), chili, tuna fish, chicken, salmon (canned)
- Vegetables: Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, vegetables (canned), tomato juice
- Fruit: Raisins and other dried fruit, applesauce, any canned fruit in its own juice
- Grains: Crackers, oatmeal, whole grain rice, all types of pasta, ready to eat low sugar/high fiber cereal (Cheerios, Raisin Bran, etc.)
- We accept all non-perishable (not frozen or refrigerated), sealed, unexpired food
- We also accept unopened toiletries (shampoo, soap, shaving cream, etc.) that should be kept separate from any food donation
- We prefer non-glass containers for the safety of our volunteers
- We cannot accept baby food or pet food from a food drive
- For drives totaling 400 pounds or more (approximately 20 boxes or bags), GBFB will coordinate a pickup of food from your business.
- Smaller donations of non-perishable product can be made in person at our warehouse at 70 South Bay Ave., Monday-Friday 8:30am-4:00pm, Wednesdays until 6:00pm or Saturday 9:00am-12:00pm
Food Donation Guidelines
Short list of most desired food items:
For questions, contact the Food Drive Coordinator at 617.427.5200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.